Wednesday, August 24, 2011

How do you know you are?

I published this post on my The World is Your Diary, but I'd like to post it here, too in case anyone reads it.

How do you know you are?

During a lesson on the human condition today, I asked my students to respond to the following journal prompt:

What makes us human? How do you know you are human, anyway?

I (and my students) would like to know what the world thinks of this question, so please take a moment to respond thoughtfully in the comments. Do it for the children!

3 comments:

  1. I am not totally sure I'm human. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to be a pain in the arse but the definition of human is: 1. A member of the genus Homo and especially of the species H. sapiens.
    For better or for worse, the title of human is something that we were born into. We have no say otherwise.

    However, what we do with that title is up to us. We can be human without being humane. Humanity is the choice.

    That's my opinion anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KITFR: I'm not sure I am, either. I wonder to what degree we can really differentiate ourselves from other creatures.

    Sydneylk: A literal definition, but point taken :)

    ReplyDelete