Saturday, February 11, 2012

PS - Whitney Houston

She was one of my idols. As a kid I spent countless hours locked in my room, passionately belting her hits to a rapt stuffed animal audience. I'm not usually affected by the deaths of celebrities, but tonight I feel as though I've lost a childhood friend. This week people will gossip about Whitney's drug use, her failed marriage to Bobby Brown (whom I also adore without shame), and speculate about the scandalous lifestyle that surely caused her death. But I will think about how Whitney taught me to sing, to dance, to deal, and to dream.

2 comments:

  1. The same thing happened with Amy Winehouse. I find it disgusting. It upsets and angers me instead of allowing me the space to grieve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiny, if you're referring to the typical public response to such tragedies, I agree. It is disgusting. The media feeds on dead celebrities like carrion and all we end up remembering is how the person ended, not how he/she once moved us.

      Delete