Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sacred Profanity

I wrote this poem as a companion to a previous poem called Before the Flood, which I published on this blog in October. Both pieces are about that obsessive, imprudent, delicious love that we so readily embrace with boundless faith so many times in our youth. Lately I've been thinking about how easily and entirely one falls in love at sixteen or seventeen - and how often. At times I wish it were as easy now as it was back then to recklessly love, without armor or logic or cunning or calculation.

Sacred Profanity

I loved him
With the sort of sacrilegious fervor
That enrages the most indifferent of deities.
I knew that divinity resides even in the wretched
And we would erect a heavenly realm
To rival celestial kingdoms real and mythical
Or perish readily of our heretical delusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment