Friday, February 11, 2011

Placed on Hold by the Suicide Hotline

Before my Mami met my Papi and created a brood of big-nosed children with him, she worked as a telephone operator at a hospital in Miami. One night she received a call from a man who wished to speak with someone about his suicidal thoughts. My mother tried to transfer the man to the hospital's suicide hotline. Mami was surprised when the hotline representative placed her on  hold before she could get a word out. They put suicidal people on hold? she thought. She was more stunned when she heard the on-hold music: Peter and Gordon's "A World without Love" was playing on the Muzak station. People called this suicide hotline to be talked out of offing themselves and the hotline not only "experienced high call volumes," it also played a song which featured the refrain, "I don't care what they say / I won't stay in a world without love." Brilliant. :)

2 comments:

  1. Now there's a whole blog series - inappropriate songs and music...
    I like how you've said just enough here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sharon! Yes, I love how some songs seem to pop up ironically at the wrong moment. I think our lives have soundtracks. Hmmmm, I wonder what my theme song is...

    ReplyDelete